Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2018 20:42:29 +0200
From:      Stefan Rumetshofer <sterum77@gmail.com>
To:        Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Testing the linux compatibility with the amdgpu driver and linux-doom3 fails

Am Donnerstag, 16. August 2018 schrieb Greg V :

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 7:46 PM, Stefan Rumetshofer <sterum77@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Firts of all i hope this is not the wrong mailing list.
>>
>> I was trying to run linux-doom3 from the ports collection with my graphics
>> hardware but this fails with an error realted to OpenGL or so. Also other
>> linux games are failing like Unreal or RTCW. It seems that there is a
>> general
>> Problem with the amd Graphics driver and the linux compatibility. I also
>> teted
>> the game wit the intel driver on my SandyBridge GPU with no error.
>>
> Hi,
>
> was the sandybridge system running i915 also from drm-next or the old
> in-tree version?

It was the same system with the Radeon card detached. The i915kms.ko was
loaded via the rc.conf and the xf86-video-intel port was installed and
loaded with the xorg.conf file. Tomorrow i can upload the Xorg.0.log files
if they are needed.

> My graphics hardware is an AMD Radeon RX560. OS is a FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE
>> with
>> drm-next-kmod and xf86-video-amdgpu. The kernel module is loaded with
>> kld_list="amdgpu" in the rc.conf and the X11 driver is loaded with 'Driver
>> "amdgpu"' in the Device Section of the xorg.conf. Xorg works fine with
>> this
>> configuration.
>>
>> Following linux related packages are installed:
>> linux-c7-dri-17.0.1                =   up-to-date with remote
>> linux-c7-elfutils-libelf-0.168     =   up-to-date with remote
>> linux-c7-expat-2.1.0_2             =   up-to-date with remote
>> linux-c7-fontconfig-2.10.95_3      =   up-to-date with remote
>> linux-c7-glx-utils-8.2.0_4         =   up-to-date with remote
>> linux-c7-libpciaccess-0.13.4_3     =   up-to-date with remote
>> linux-c7-xorg-libs-7.7_5           =   up-to-date with remote
>> linux-doom3-1.3.1.1304,1           =   up-to-date with remote
>> linux_base-c7-7.4.1708_6           =   up-to-date with remote
>>
>> When running linux-doom3 i get the following output:
>> % linux-doom3
>> [...]
>> -------------------------------
>> using ARB_vertex_buffer_object memory
>> using ARB2 renderSystem
>> signal caught: Segmentation fault
>> si_code 1
>>

> A backtrace would be useful here.
> Was a core dump produced?

No coredump because i disabled it with kern.coredump=0 but i can change
this and look if a dump will be created. Tomorrow...

> Anyway, I definitely have run Linux GL applications on amdgpu, but I was
> using an Ubuntu chroot instead of the linux-* ports.

Which Ubuntu version should i try? How can i create such a chroot. Is it
possible to install an Ubuntu on a separate disk, tar it up and unpack it
to /compat/linux.