Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 01:31:28 -0400
From:      "James F. Young" <napalmski@home.com>
To:        Alex <alexf@flash.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Probing Devices... Computer Freeze

Alex,

I am in a similar situation with one of my machines (the one which I had
in mind to house bsd permanently)
Since this is my first install of bsd, I am temporarily going to do this
on a different machine altogether.

Once I am clear on what I need to ftp from the net I will be attempting
what I am about to suggest to you.

One of the easiest ways to approach this might be to strip the machine
to its bare essentials,
pulling your sound card, nic and anything else you don't need and try
again.
        (my blind guess *not knowing your system* is that it may be a
nic and something else)

Try booting again and if you get past the "probing" stage then you have
at least narrowed down the possibilites of where the conflict may be
coming from.  (it still freezes consult your bios and diable any serial
ports your not actively using, if that doesnt work then you may have
seriouse hardware issues)

Replace the components you pulled one at a time until if freezes again
and then you will have one of the devices that is having a conflict
identified.  Determine address and irq of that device and then figure
out what else is trying to use the same resources.

hope that helps

jim