Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:24:57 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Fredrik Tolf <fredrik@dolda2000.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation woes with 6.2 release

On Jul 10, 2007, at 1:15 PM, Fredrik Tolf wrote:
> Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com> writes:
>> Clearly you have a disk controller compatibility problem.  I do know
>> the Sil chips are terrible, and there is a long history of issues
>> with
>> these chips and FreeBSD!
>
> That's interesting to me. Is there any further information available
> on that subject?
>
> I've been using SiL chips with Linux for quite a while with no
> problems, and I was planning to do the same with FreeBSD as well, but
> if there are known problems with SiL and FreeBSD I may need to rethink
> that decision.
>
> (To be more exact, I've been using the SiL 311[24] chips)

There are significant hardware defects with the SiliconImage 311x
chips, which can mostly be worked around if you accept a loss of
performance.  These workarounds are implemented in both Linux and the
BSDs, but details are available here:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Silicon+Image+3112
+bugs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

...gives results such as: