Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 15:23:16 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Patrick Seal <patseal@hyperhost.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hard drive spindown

Patrick Seal wrote:

> On a recent slashdot discussion on the new ORB drives:
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=99/04/19/2021246
> -
> I got the EIDE version a little over a month ago. It installs into a linux
> machine flawlessly. The only problem that I had was couple weeks after I got the
> drive I heard a grinding noise. Turned out that linux never spun the drive
> down even once in that first 2 weeks and I never used it, so it ended up
> grinding off the cylinders off the far edge of the platter. I promptly
> exchanged it and set a spindown with hdparm and its been working
> beautifully ever since.
>
> I would definatly recommend this drive, just make sure that
> you either use the drive a lot or get it to spin down.  Seems like the
> drive should move the head around all by itself to avoid damage like what
> happened to me though.

I have EIDE drives that have never been turned off in 2 or 3 years
except for lightening storms and hardware installs. Western Digital
drives, for example, are programmed to move every so many seconds of
idle time to prevent wear down. There is a whole new set of technology
that keep the modern drives from wearing out like yours did.

Kent