Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:32:51 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   UPDATE2: ATA mkIII first official patches - please test!

S=F8ren Schmidt wrote:

> http://people.freebsd.org/~sos/ata-mk3k.diff-releng5.gz
> http://people.freebsd.org/~sos/ata-mk3k.diff-current.gz
> http://people.freebsd.org/~sos/ata-mk3k.tar.gz

New version available for testing:

http://people.freebsd.org/~sos/ata-mk3l.diff-releng5.gz
http://people.freebsd.org/~sos/ata-mk3l.diff-current.gz
http://people.freebsd.org/~sos/ata-mk3l.tar.gz

This time the diff must be reapplied as there are new changes in there.

Items in this release:

o       Fix ATA/ATAPI requests from userland.

o       Cleanup the attach/detach code further.

o       Add modules for atacard and atacbus

o	Fix the current/real geometry handling for CHS mode.

o       Add the ioctl interface back to ata-raid.c.

o       Update the ioctl API to match new RAID levels etc.

o       Add the infrastructure to allow create/delete/status of ATA RAID
         arrays. NOTE only Promise and FreeBSD Pseudo RAIDs supported at
         this time.

o       Update atacontrol to know about the new RAID levels etc
         NOTE: you need to recompile atacontrol with the new sys/ata.h,
         make world will take care of that.

One warning applies to both this and the last snapshot. I accidentially
released the RAID5 test code I had in there which allows to apparently=20
use a RAID5 array. However it *ONLY* reads and writes the data part, it=20
does *NOT* maintain the parity part. That means it will trash a RAID5=20
array for later real use as the parity wont match the data one there.
Since the code is "out there" I've decided to let it stay, as it allows=20
for testing of getting and using the metadata etc..

As usual use at your own risk, but feedback on this is very welcomed.
Big thanks to all those that has participated so far!

I'll be mostly AFK for the next two weeks on needed vacation, so dont=20
panic if I dont respond as quickly as usual.

Enjoy!

--=20

-S=F8ren