Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 1997 13:29:01 +0100 (BST)
From:      Philip Inglesant <philip@dircon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel build, memory problems

I am running FreeBSD on a Pentium 200 with 128MB ram.

I have set "option MEMSIZE=131027" in the kernel config file. Of course,
for this first kernel re-build, i had to have the machine running with
only 64MB ram installed. Then i rebooted on the new kernel, and it saw
the memory no problem:

on bootup, console and /var/log/messages entries:

Jun 27 12:20:02 www-cache2 /kernel: real memory  = 134217728 (131072K bytes)
Jun 27 12:20:02 www-cache2 /kernel: avail memory = 128126976 (125124K bytes)

But now, with the 128 MB in place and running on the new kernel, i'd like
to re-build the kernel again. I find that i can (usually) do the config
and make depend without problems, but when doing the make, it always
falls over somewhere with a core dump, usually signal 11, Segmentation fault.

I have been able to do the make if it do it in stages, ie. if as soon as
it crashes, i just type "make" again and off it goes... after two or
three stages, i finally builds a bootable kernel.

I am concerened, not just about why this is happening, but to know
whether this is likely to be a sign of instability in applications i run
on the machine. I want it to run as far as possible unattended as web
cache, so it needs a lot of ram and it needs to be reliable.

Philip Inglesant
Direct Connection