Date:      10 Sep 1997 13:04:12 -0500
From:      Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mount cdrom returns "input/output error"

Charlie ROOT <root@room101.sysc.com> writes:

> Ever since I upgraded to 2.2-STABLE, I am unable to mount any CD-ROM's
> that I have (I tested this by going back to the 2.2.2-RELEASE kernel and
> the CD-ROM worked great, unfortunately, I need 2.2-STABLE for some other
> fixes.)  I am sure the CD-ROM is working fine and the CD is OK.

The generic kernel has support for the cd9660 file system compiled
into it, but since it's available as a module it's usually left out of
locally compiled kernels.  Try saying:

#modload /lkm/cd9660_mod.o

before you mount the cdrom.
--
I've always wanted to be a dilettante, but I've never quite been ready
to make the commitment.