Date:      Sat, 1 Nov 1997 08:32:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Haden Cruickshank <haden@dircon.co.uk>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it for me?

On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Haden Cruickshank wrote:

> I have a web site at: http://www.2infinity.org , and I have full e-mail
> services, and I was wondering whether FreeBSD was for me.

It depends on your traffic volume.  If you get hundreds of
thousands of hits a day, FreeBSD will definately prove itself
faster and more reliable.  Running months at a time without
having to reboot is a strength of FreeBSD.  Some FreeBSD systems
have been known to run well over a year without needing a reboot.

On the other hand, if you only get a few thousand hits and 100%
availability isn't important, it probably doesn't make that much
of a difference.

FreeBSD will probably be more secure.  Microsoft is really quite
new to TCP/IP and Internet applications and their software is
still pretty easy to break from the outside.  It is *essential*
that you closely track bug fixes.  There are security bugs in any
operating system, including FreeBSD, but rarely are they so large
and easy to take advantage of as are the bugs in the
Windows95/NT.

> If I just want to
> try it, is it easy to uninstall from Win95? Will I still be able to use
> Win95 applications once I have installed FreeBSD?

You cannot run FreeBSD and Windows95 at the same time, although
they can both live on the same hard drive.  To share the hard
drive, each operating system needs its own partition so if your
hard drive isn't already partitioned, it could be a bit of a
hassle.  There is a program called FIPS that will repartition a
disk without requiring a backup and restore, but I've never used
it and would strongly recommend a backup before using it anyway.

I hope this helps!

-john