Date:      Thu, 01 Mar 2001 02:24:32 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sig-11's and Spontaneous Reboots

Many of you have experienced sig-11's, panics, and spontaneous reboots.
 Conventional wisdom tells us that these problems are caused by bad
memory, bad CPU's, overclocked CPU's, and poorly designed or damaged
DMA circuitry on the motherboard.  I'd been experiencing an increasing
number of problems with my server at home.  Recently it had failed to
stay up for longer than 12 hours.  I discovered that the cooling fins
in the CPU fan had been clogged with dust.  Removing the CPU (with
appropriate anti-static measures) and vacuuming out the CPU fan with
the narrow vacuum nozzle over the fan and around the CPU fan fins
solved my problem.  The collection of dust clogged the cooling fins in
my CPU fan such that the CPU overheated and the system became extremely
unstable.

A cheap solution to a potentially expensive problem.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC