Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 11:57:13 +0100
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Subject:   Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

I have started X as a normal user. I opened a terminal window, and executed:

   bash-2.04$ su -
   Password:
   # bash
   bash-2.04# export DISPLAY=0:0
   bash-2.04# xterm &
   bash-2.04# Xlib: connection to "0:0.0" refused by server
   Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
   Warning: This program is an suid-root program or is being run by the root
   user.
   The full text of the error or warning message cannot be safely formatted
   in this environment. You may get a more descriptive message by running the
   program as a non-root user or by removing the suid bit on the executable.
   xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s

   [1]+  Exit 1                  xterm

What's a MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key, and why do I have an invalid one? I guess
this has something to do with PAM ?

Any pointers to documentation would be greatly appreciated.

--
Ernst