Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:41:36 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "FreeBSD Stable List" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Error in 'make kernel KERNCONF=custom'

Hi all.

I have run cvsup on "tag=RELENG_4" yesterday at about 14:00 my time (GMT+2).
I completed "make buildworld" without any problems.  Now I am running "make
kernel".  When running against the GENERIC config file it is OK.  But,
against my trimmed config and I hit the following problem:

<snip>
===> netgraph/ksocket
rm -f setdef0.c setdef1.c setdefs.h setdef0.o setdef1.o netgraph
__netgraph_hack_dep.c ng_ksocket.4.gz ng_ksocket.4.cat.gz ng_ksocket.ko
ng_ksocket.kld ng_ksocket.o @ machine symb.tmp tmp.o
===> netgraph/lmi
Bus error - core dumped
*** Error code 138

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/netgraph.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/carrot.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
</snip>

My changes from GENERIC are:
1) Removed a whole bunch of devices that I really don't need (I've compared
dmesg already).
2) Identified the processor (cpu I586_CPU), commented out the others.
   dmesg says: "CPU: AMD-K6tm w/ multimedia extensions (200.46-MHz 586-class
CPU)"
3) Increased MAXUSERS (maxusers 64).
4) Removed support for IPv6 and NFS:
   #options INET6
   #options NFS
   #options NFS_ROOT
5) Added DIRHASH (options UFS_DIRHASH)

The only points above that are different from what I've done 101 times
before are:
2) I've not messed with 'cpu' on an AMD chip before.
5) This is the first time I'm using UFS_DIRHASH.

Any pointers would be much appreciated... :)

For those who are interested (if you cannot see my mistake already), I've
included a complete 'diff' between GENERIC and my 'carrot' config file
below.

Thanks,
Patrick.

caesar carrot:/sys/i386/conf# diff GENERIC carrot
21,22c21,22
< cpu           I386_CPU
< cpu           I486_CPU
---
> #cpu          I386_CPU
> #cpu          I486_CPU
24,26c24,27
< cpu           I686_CPU
< ident         GENERIC
< maxusers      32
---
> #cpu          I686_CPU
> ident         carrot
> #maxusers     32
> maxusers      64
32c33
< options       INET6                   #IPv6 communications protocols
---
> #options      INET6                   #IPv6 communications protocols
38,39c39,40
< options       NFS                     #Network Filesystem
< options       NFS_ROOT                #NFS usable as root device, NFS
required
---
> #options      NFS                     #Network Filesystem
> #options      NFS_ROOT                #NFS usable as root device, NFS
required
86,92c87,93
< device                ahb             # EISA AHA1742 family
< device                ahc             # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx
devices
< device                amd             # AMD 53C974 (Tekram DC-390(T))
< device                isp             # Qlogic family
< device                ncr             # NCR/Symbios Logic
< device                sym             # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets)
< options               SYM_SETUP_LP_PROBE_MAP=0x40
---
> #device               ahb             # EISA AHA1742 family
> #device               ahc             # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx
devices
> #device               amd             # AMD 53C974 (Tekram DC-390(T))
> #device               isp             # Qlogic family
> #device               ncr             # NCR/Symbios Logic
> #device               sym             # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets)
> #options              SYM_SETUP_LP_PROBE_MAP=0x40
96,104c97,105
< device                adv0    at isa?
< device                adw
< device                bt0     at isa?
< device                aha0    at isa?
< device                aic0    at isa?
<
< device                ncv             # NCR 53C500
< device                nsp             # Workbit Ninja SCSI-3
< device                stg             # TMC 18C30/18C50
---
> #device               adv0    at isa?
> #device               adw
> #device               bt0     at isa?
> #device               aha0    at isa?
> #device               aic0    at isa?
>
> #device               ncv             # NCR 53C500
> #device               nsp             # Workbit Ninja SCSI-3
> #device               stg             # TMC 18C30/18C50
107,111c108,112
< device                scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
< device                da              # Direct Access (disks)
< device                sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
< device                cd              # CD
< device                pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI
access)
---
> #device               scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
> #device               da              # Direct Access (disks)
> #device               sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
> #device               cd              # CD
> #device               pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI
access)
114,116c115,117
< device                asr             # DPT SmartRAID V, VI and Adaptec
SCSI RAID
< device                dpt             # DPT Smartcache - See LINT for
options!
< device                mly             # Mylex AcceleRAID/eXtremeRAID
---
> #device               asr             # DPT SmartRAID V, VI and Adaptec
SCSI RAID
> #device               dpt             # DPT Smartcache - See LINT for
options!
> #device               mly             # Mylex AcceleRAID/eXtremeRAID
119,123c120,124
< device                aac             # Adaptec FSA RAID, Dell PERC2/PERC3
< device                ida             # Compaq Smart RAID
< device                amr             # AMI MegaRAID
< device                mlx             # Mylex DAC960 family
< device                twe             # 3ware Escalade
---
> #device               aac             # Adaptec FSA RAID, Dell PERC2/PERC3
> #device               ida             # Compaq Smart RAID
> #device               amr             # AMI MegaRAID
> #device               mlx             # Mylex DAC960 family
> #device               twe             # 3ware Escalade
172,174c173,175
< device                de              # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
< device                txp             # 3Com 3cR990 (``Typhoon'')
< device                vx              # 3Com 3c590, 3c595 (``Vortex'')
---
> #device               de              # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
> #device               txp             # 3Com 3cR990 (``Typhoon'')
> #device               vx              # 3Com 3c590, 3c595 (``Vortex'')
179,190c180,191
< device                dc              # DEC/Intel 21143 and various
workalikes
< device                fxp             # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B
(82557, 82558)
< device                pcn             # AMD Am79C97x PCI 10/100 NICs
< device                rl              # RealTek 8129/8139
< device                sf              # Adaptec AIC-6915 (``Starfire'')
< device                sis             # Silicon Integrated Systems SiS
900/SiS 7016
< device                ste             # Sundance ST201 (D-Link DFE-550TX)
< device                tl              # Texas Instruments ThunderLAN
< device                tx              # SMC EtherPower II (83c170
``EPIC'')
< device                vr              # VIA Rhine, Rhine II
< device                wb              # Winbond W89C840F
< device                wx              # Intel Gigabit Ethernet Card
(``Wiseman'')
---
> #device               dc              # DEC/Intel 21143 and various
workalikes
> #device               fxp             # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B
(82557, 82558)
> #device               pcn             # AMD Am79C97x PCI 10/100 NICs
> #device               rl              # RealTek 8129/8139
> #device               sf              # Adaptec AIC-6915 (``Starfire'')
> #device               sis             # Silicon Integrated Systems SiS
900/SiS 7016
> #device               ste             # Sundance ST201 (D-Link DFE-550TX)
> #device               tl              # Texas Instruments ThunderLAN
> #device               tx              # SMC EtherPower II (83c170
``EPIC'')
> #device               vr              # VIA Rhine, Rhine II
> #device               wb              # Winbond W89C840F
> #device               wx              # Intel Gigabit Ethernet Card
(``Wiseman'')
195,198c196,199
< device                ed0     at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000
< device                ex
< device                ep
< device                fe0     at isa? port 0x300
---
> #device               ed0     at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000
> #device               ex
> #device               ep
> #device               fe0     at isa? port 0x300
200c201
< device                xe
---
> #device               xe
202c203
< device                awi
---
> #device               awi
206c207
< device                wi
---
> #device               wi
212c213
< device                an
---
> #device               an
214c215
< device                ie0     at isa? port 0x300 irq 10 iomem 0xd0000
---
> #device               ie0     at isa? port 0x300 irq 10 iomem 0xd0000
216,218c217,219
< device                lnc0    at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 drq 0
< device                cs0     at isa? port 0x300
< device                sn0     at isa? port 0x300 irq 10
---
> #device               lnc0    at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 drq 0
> #device               cs0     at isa? port 0x300
> #device               sn0     at isa? port 0x300 irq 10
236,246c237,247
< device                uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
< device                ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
< device                usb             # USB Bus (required)
< device                ugen            # Generic
< device                uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
< device                ukbd            # Keyboard
< device                ulpt            # Printer
< device                umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires
scbus and da
< device                ums             # Mouse
< device                uscanner        # Scanners
< device                urio            # Diamond Rio MP3 Player
---
> #device               uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
> #device               ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
> #device               usb             # USB Bus (required)
> #device               ugen            # Generic
> #device               uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
> #device               ukbd            # Keyboard
> #device               ulpt            # Printer
> #device               umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires
scbus and da
> #device               ums             # Mouse
> #device               uscanner        # Scanners
> #device               urio            # Diamond Rio MP3 Player
248,250c249,254
< device                aue             # ADMtek USB ethernet
< device                cue             # CATC USB ethernet
< device                kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet
---