Date:      Fri, 30 Dec 2011 14:38:30 -0800
From:      Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to chdir permanently

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011, Gary Kline wrote:
>if i put in a
>
>  chdir(VBCPATH) before my speech stuff, how long will the chdir()
>  let me remain in that  directory?  my directory for my tts gtk
>  application is hidden  away in ~/.VBC for now, and the binary
>  has to be in that directory.  all of the text files  are
>  there.

On any *nix system the chdir is in effect for the duration of the
script that did it, and for any processes spawned by that script.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@celestial.com  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Whenever a people entrust the defence of their country to a regular,
standing army, composed of mercenaries, the power of that country will
remain under the direction of the most wealthy citizens.