Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 2008 10:21:15 +0400
From:      pluknet <pluknet@gmail.com>
To:        dennis_flynn@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.0 Stable and the CP2101 driver

2008/6/11 Dennis Flynn <dennis_flynn@yahoo.com>:
[trim]
> I tried installing the update, e.g. "freebsd-update -r 7.0-STABLE fetch", then "freebsd-update -r 7.0-STABLE upgrade".  Seemed to work.  But I do not seem to have the device driver loaded when I plug in the USB device.  I get the folowwing in the messages log:
>
> Jun 10 16:48:02 wx kernel: ugen0: <Silicon Labs CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2> on uhub0
>
> But I don't see a device that I think I should see, like /dev/ttyU0.  If I do a "uname -a" I see the following:
>
> FreeBSD wx.dennis-flynn.net 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24 19:59:52 UTC 2008     root@logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> That doesn't seem right to me.  Shouldn't I see something like 7.0-RELEASE-p1 or 7.0-STABLE?  Did I do something wrong in my update to RELEASE?  How do I know if I'm running the STABLE kernel with the driver I want?  How can I tell if the driver (uslcom) is there and/or loaded?

uslcom(4) appeared somewhere in 7.0-STABLE in GENERIC, and you are
running 7.0-RELEASE, that is older.

freebsd-update works only with releases (plus sec.patches),
and 7.0-STABLE is not a release (obviously because you cannot
definitely say to what date it corresponds).
So you should update it to STABLE manually or wait until 7.1 is out.

wbr,
pluknet