Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 15:55:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin McCarty <kmc@best.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot to FreeBSD 3.1 on wd1 from NTLDR on wd0?

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 3.1 RELEASE from CD onto a second hard
disk in a Dell Optiplex GXi, and I'm having trouble with the boot
sequence.

The first hard disk, a WD 8GB IDE, has NT4 on it with an msdos file
system, using NTLDR to boot that as usual.  I should be able to use
NTLDR to boot either NT on the first disk or FreeBSD on the second, I
think.

I installed FreeBSD on a second 3GB WD disk, using the FDISK
Compatibility option.  I set the freebsd slice to be bootable in the
fdisk step of sysinstall, took the default FreeBSD Boot Manager
default to be installed on wd1.  I didn't see a clearly distinguished
option to format and install on wd1 but install the Boot Manager on
wd0, however I figured NTLDR should let me use a boot sector from wd1.
This ought to be possible somehow, I've done it on systems where the
BSD partition is on the same disk as NTLDR.

After the file systems were created and the distributions and packages
were installed, I switched to VT4 and did this:

# mkdir /nt
# mount -t msdos /dev/wd0s1 /nt
# df
Filesystem  512-byte blocks   Used  Avail  Capacity  Mounted On
fd0c                   5607   2566  ...    50%       /
/dev/wd1s1a           95198  36236  ...    41%       /mnt
/dev/wd1s1f         5518076 613464  ...    12%       /mnt/usr
/dev/wd1s1e           95198    524  ...     1%       /mnt/var
/dev/wcd0c              ...    ...  ...   100%       /dist
/dev/wd0s1          4192320    ...  ...    64%       /nt

# dd if=/dev/rwd1s1a of=/nt/rwd1s1a.bsd bs=512 count=1

Is this the right place to copy from?  Apparently not, because when I
point NT's BOOT.INI to it with this entry

C:\RWD1S1A.BSD="FreeBSD 3.1"

the result is: "Boot Error", and nothing further.

So what's wrong with this recipe, and how can I fix it?

Kevin McCarty