Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 2008 20:19:33 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Subject:   Re: INET6 -- and why I don't use it

On Thursday 06 March 2008 16:24:08 Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Agreed. =A0But at this stage I can't justify the effort to do anything
> > more than have a very cursory glance it at. =A0What benefit would I
> > derive from setting up an IPv6 network and attempting to experiment
> > with it? =A0My ISP won't support IPv6 and I'm reasonably certain my
> > cable-modem doesn't either so IPv6 connectivity would entail some
> > sort of tunnel.
>
> You don't set up an IPv6 network. You simply have end nodes that will
> use IPv6 when/if it is available by just making a one-line change in
> rc.conf as opposed to a kernel re-build.
>
> If you have a Windows Vista box (and I'm told several people do, even
> though I have never used one), it has IPv6, it is always enabled, and it
> REALLY, REALLY tries to use it using several mechanisms including Toredo
> tunnels (which are either very cool or the spawn of Satan, depending on
> who you talk to).

eventually this few lines show why this thread goes so far ...=20

your computer will or better CAN use ipv6 when it is on a ipv6 network and=
=20
nothing else, ipv6 WILL NOT come eventually available on your ipv4 network=
=20
(unless it's address space change ...)

this has nothing to do with vista or dawn, this is a routing issue and as l=
ong=20
as you are NOT on a ipv6 network you do NOT need ipv6 on our machine, still=
=20
beeing able to access ipv6 networks ... as weel as ipv6 networls can access=
=20
ipv4 networlks guys, if not so all this ipv[4|6] stuff wouldn't make any=20
sense ...

as long as you talk in endpoints you also can access any rfc1918 address as=
=20
long as you have some setup (VPN?) for that, so what you say here is not=20
exactly true, either for windows nor for unix, the OS at the end has=20
absolutelty NOTHING to do with ipv6 neither with ipv4 ...

so final point here is that you need ipv6 on your machine when you are on a=
=20
ipv6 network or want by any means connect directly to a remote ipv6 endpoin=
t,=20
similare as you do a VPN connection to a rfc1918 network wether this are=20
tunnels or whatever provided by either satans or daemons ...

guys please ...

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o