Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 2004 11:52:56 GMT
From:      Eitarou Kamo <e-kamo@trio.plala.or.jp>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/70028: umass isuue in the boot prcess on SONY Laptop

>Number:         70028
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       umass isuue in the boot prcess on SONY Laptop
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
 In the boot step, the machine stop with saying next message
5 times for about 20min.

umass0: CBI reset failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-in stall clear failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: CBI bulk-out stall clear failed, TIMEOUT

I performed debug briefly. and I found the reflexive loop occurred in the unci_poll_hub()

Again I found the next path caused the loop.

> if (p[0] == 0)
> /* No change, try again in a while */
> return;

So for the timer(total about 20min) reflexive loop
occured.
 which seems to mean no umass device.

BTW, my machine is SONY PCG-R505 J/BD Laptop.
>How-To-Repeat:
insatll and boot, and you will stuck this issue.
>Fix:
When no umass device and needless, any param should notice
it. when the param exists kernel should ignore the timer.
which makes you elegant boot process. BTW, param should
be set from lorder.conf, sysctl.conf or else conbinient.