Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:02:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to train a newbie

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Lord Raiden wrote:

> 	Ok folks, I got a greenhorn here and I need to train him up on how to use
> Samba, Apache, SSH server/client, Unix FTP server, etc and I suck at
> training.  The guy kinda knows what he's doing, but I have never trained
> anyone in how to do this and I have no idea how to teach a new guy how to
> do all this.  No, this was not my idea to try to train him up as a
> sysadmin.  Blame my boss.  :)  This guy is better with Windows 2k than BSD.
>
> 	But, since I'm stuck training him on how to setup and admin the basics of
> how to admin a BSD box, I need some help.  Anyone know of any good tutorial
> guides to learning all of the necessary core items of BSD including the
> extras like Samba, Apache, etc?  I need to figure out how to teach him and
> I'm a rather poor teacher, but a great tech, but I'm still the unlucky sap
> saddled with it.  :)  Any good transitional windows to unix tutorials would
> be great too.  Thanks.
>
> 	And no, I don't like training and hope I never have to do it again, but
> I'm up for a raise and a promotion, so I'm stuck butt kissing for the next
> 3 months.  :)  So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Given that you don't want to develop a training course on the spot,
one approach is to teach him how to figure things out for himself and
learn how to use the basic sources of information--books, Internet
resources, and installed sources of help and information.

Do you have the books? There are now five:

1) Handbook (second edition) (Clayton & Stokley).  Of course, an essential
reference.

2) The Complete FreeBSD (Lehey), 1999, thus out of date; we await the next
edition.  Still the best on some topics.

3) FreeBSD Unleashed (Urban and Tiemann).  May have more on specific
applications (apache, samba); this would be its strength.

4) FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide (Mittelstaedt).  For the sysadmin
dealing with both Windows and FreeBSD machines.

5) FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your Personal Computer.
If your newbie is really green on UNIX, this would be helpful.  Deals
mostly with the base system, with the assumption that the reader is
unfamiliar with any UNIX-type systems, but is fairly comprehensive on
setting stuff up, building kernel, upgrading, third-party software
installation. (Disclaimer: I wrote this one)

Beyond that, of course something like UNIX System Administration Handbook
(which uses FreeBSD [version 3.2] as one of its example systems
is an essential resource.

And then, something on the shell and a UNIX reference.  Also right
now I like Think UNIX by Lasser as a conceptual introduction. And
books on specifics like sendmail, apache, samba; or whatever it is
you use--including your references on security.

How do you start? I'd get him to install and configure a machine on
your network (his own laptop if necessary) probably using 3 above,
and then give him specific assignments for setting up a web server on
the machine, setting up ftp-only accounts (or whatever it is you
need to do), etc.  That could take him a day or a month.  Perhaps
he should keep a journal on what he's done.

During this time, you're a resource--you answer questions, but mostly
you guide him to sources of information and their interpretation.

And you can check his work and meet with him about the results; log
in to his web server, access your home directory on his machine; run
nmap on it and talk about the results; etc.

Once he can install and configure a machine with most of the services
(and security) you want, you could introduce him to the specifics
of how your organization manages specific stuff and the problems that
might arise.  Scripts you use, your daily routine for checking log
files, etc.

You can keep a log for yourself of things you have to address or solve
that you want to be sure he knows how to address by the end of this
training.

	Annelise
--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC