Date:      Sun, 08 Feb 2009 03:24:45 -0500
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        NAKAJI Hiroyuki <nakaji@jp.freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: non working DRI on *i386* RADEONX1650+FreeBSD7-stable+Xorg7.4

--=-DMxslFKNeGze8B8/X7FS

On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 09:13 +0900, NAKAJI Hiroyuki wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 07:24 +0900, Maho NAKATA wrote:
>=20
> > > it seems DRI is not working on i386, RADEON X1650 FreBSD 7-stable, Xo=
rg 7.4
> > >=20
> > > 1. if we enable DRI, screen is garbled.
> > > 2. without DRI, works, it works, and no problem.
> > > 3. I have DRM loaded at /boot/loader.conf
> > > drm0: <ATI Radeon X1650> on vgapci0
> > > info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.29.0 20080613
>=20
> > Please make sure that your -STABLE is up to date.  The garbled screen
> > should be resolved with the new drm code.  If you are up to date. (your
> > xserver at least was built against the old kernel), try rebuilding
> > graphics/libdrm.
>=20
> Robert, I'd like to make a summary about "How to update xorg".
> Is it right in general?
>=20
> 0. prepare to accept any troubles

Yes, hopefully minimal, but Xorg is a big and complex project and there
are only a couple of us that work on FreeBSD right now, so...

> 1. update /usr/src and /usr/ports tree to the latest -STABLE or -CURRENT

For the latest agp/drm bits yes, this is advised.

> 2. build and install the latest kernel, and reboot
> 3. update xorg and related all packages using portupdate or portmaster

I personally use "portmanager -u -p -l -y", but yes, the tool of your
choice.  In my experience, portupgrade allows the most foot shooting...

> 4. update /etc/X11/xorg.conf

This is sometimes needed.  Often it is not needed unless specific
features/options change.

> 5. enjoy the new xorg world

Hopefully, life is good at this point. 8-)

> And then, I have some questions.
>=20
> 2. Do we need to update the userland, too?

This depends on whether or not any specific API/ABI has been broken.
Normally this should only be observed if shared library versions change.
The above portmanager usage will just deal with it, even if
PORTREVISIONS aren't bumped, though we attempt to bump all needed ports.

> 3. If using portupgrade, is "portupgrade -af" better than
>    "portupgrade -rf xorg"?

I haven't used portupgrade in a long time, so I'm not the best person to
answer this.  The primary concern is ensuring that all the needed ports
are updated in dependency order.  Unless I'm mistaken, portupgrade -rf
xorg is not what you want, as that would try to rebuild everything that
depends on the xorg meta port, which is pretty much nothing.

robert.

> Thanks.
--=20
Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>