Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 1998 16:59:24 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        psd@cgu.nl (Paul Dekkers)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proxy server (what kind of machine and os?)

Hmmm, nobody seems to have taken this one up yet, so I might as well give it
a shot:

Paul Dekkers wrote:

> If I want to set up a proxy-server (because we just have a 64kbit internet
> link I think it would be a great idea), what kind of OS do you suggest me?
> Because of the number of maximum network connections, is NetBSD much
> better than FreeBSD? What is the fastest solution?

You didn't say which services you need to proxy.  I'm _assuming_ you mean
(mostly) HTTP.

The general feeling (in this list, at least ;-) is that of the *BSDs, FreeBSD
is the one most optimised for "big server" applications.

> Which FreeBSD Release is the best?

Depends on how you wish to administer the machine.  If you want to set it up
and leave it, install the latest -RELEASE (2.2.6 at present), and thereafter
just apply vital security patches and bugfixes.  This is probably the best
solution for a "production" environment.  If you wish, you can also track
-STABLE.  This implies more work, though.  ;-)

> What kind of machine do you suggest? Is a pentium-60 enough, or I'd better
> use a 100 Mhz or better? How many RAM is suggested, and is an 1Gb IDE disk
> enough?

The P60 will probably cut it, but the faster the better, of course.  Your
disk size depends solely on how big a cache you wish to keep.  Invest in as
much RAM as you can afford - no less than 32MB for 30 clients; at least 64MB
if you can.  Maybe looking at a SCSI disk (or even a pair of smaller SCSI
disks) might be a very good idea.

> I think we have at about 30 clients running at one time (maybe in
> the future a little more), and I think I want to set up two proxy-servers,
> connected to each other, in the two buildings we have, because the link
> between the two networks is just 2Mbit.

Squid, a dedicated http/gopher/ftp proxy server, has facilities for
parent-to-child or sibling-to-sibling peering.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878