Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:52:52 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        azhar freebsd <freebsd999@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd version?

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 07:04:53PM +0900, azhar freebsd wrote:

> 2006/9/26, Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>:
> >
> >On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 04:35:07PM +0900, azhar freebsd wrote:
> >
> >> hi
> >> can anybody tell me what is 6.2 preerelease.
> >
> >Just what it says.
> >It is a FreeBSD 6.2 that has not been officially released yet.
> >The present official release is 6.1.   The 6.2 release is coming
> >soon and is being worked on actively.   You can install it for
> >testing or development or somewhat risky production use.  It is
> >sort of a beta release.
> >
> >////jerry
> >

> >> uname -a
> >> FreeBSD belagelo.com 6.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE #0: Sun Sep
> >> 24 16:53:30 UTC 2006
> >> root@belagelo.com:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/GENERIC  i386
> >> [root@belagelo]~#emacs
> >>

> >> azhar
>

> thank u for your reply . is there any way to get back the normal freebsd
> version . i am facing a lot of problems that i think its because of this
> version .like i cant install any package by sysinstall through ftp .

If it is really a problem with version 6.2, you might have to
do a fresh install of 6.1 and then cvsup to RELENG_6.1 rather
than STABLE or CURRENT.

So far as I know, though, 6.2 is very reliable now.  So, maybe
it might help to pursue the actual problems you are having more.
It may be that you would have the same problems in 6.1 or even 5.5.

So, you might want to ask questions about the specific
problems you are having in 6.2.

////jerry