Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 08:48:41 -0800
From:      bmah@cs.berkeley.edu (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        Robert Burns <rjburns@lanzen.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Root on sd0 not sd1, ??????

Doug White writes:
> On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Robert Burns wrote:
>
> > I've got a pentium with a IDE primary and SCSI secondary.  I've installed
> > FBSD 2.1 on the extended partition of my SCSI drive.  I cannot get BOOTEASY
> > to install properly so I've been using " boot: hd(1,a)/kernel ".
> >
> > I tried to use os-bs beta that came with the FBSD cdrom and was able to
> > install it but it is trying to change the root device to sd1 rather than
> > sd0 after it loads the kernel.  I've tied recompiling the kernel with
> > config root on sd0 but no luck. I've run out of ideas.
> >
> > I would even be happy of I could make a boot floppy that would point to sd0
> > but I don't know how.
>
> I think there is some new stuff coming in 2.2 that will help solve this.
> In any case, though, you're in the tight spot of having both ide and SCSI.
> You may be able to edit the necessary files and build a new boot block,
> but it's not fun.

I had a bit of fun playing with this problem as well.  There are four
possibilities for dealing with it, as I understand things (I'm sure someone
will correct me).

1.  The 2.1.5 boot loader lets you specify that you'd like to boot from (for
example) 1:sd(0,a)/kernel.  This specifies the first SCSI disk (0), which also
happens to be the second BIOS disk (1), and makes the setting of the root
device work properly.  This requires no tweaking of the bootblocks, but I
don't know how to make it the default from BOOTEASY (it sounds like, from the
original text, it doesn't "just do it").

2.  If you want to rebuild the bootblocks (again, this is for 2.1.5), you can
look at the BOOT_HD_BIAS macro definition in sys/i386/boot/biosboot/Makefile.
Again, not sure how to make this a default.

3.  The solution that I adopted, which is kind of the sledgehammer approach,
was to install GRUB (http://www.uruk.org/grub/).  Initially I thought it would
be the answer to my problems, but I wound up making a couple of patches to it
as well (in a similar vein as #2).  I've sent patches back to the author.
Anyways, I think this method should work on 2.1.0 as well.  Send me mail if
you feel adventurous and want my patches.  YMMV.

4.  From prowling around in the CVS tree, it does indeed look like 2.2 will
have a more flexible way of passing arguments (such as the kernel to boot) to
the bootloader.  So you could wait for that.  :-)

Bruce.