Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:37:13 -0400
From:      Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Windows X

Dear Chris,

I'm sure you'll get a lot of answers to this one, but I'll dive in.

First off, I guess you mean Xwindows, not Windows X. Xwindows by itself
is basic - you need a window manager to make it look nice. FreeBSD comes
with a few good ones. Most people who want bells and whistles use KDE,
which is included on the FreeBSD install CD. For each user (maybe you
just have one), put a file in their home directory called .xinitrc with
this content:

  exec startkde

That will do it. There are other window managers, some of which are
might lighter weight (thus faster) than KDE, even if not as pretty. For
example, if you wanted fvwm, then file .xinitrc would have this content:

  exec fvwm

This will only work, of course, if you've installed fvwm (it's also on
the FreeBSD install CD).

By the way, all of the above applies to Linux as well, this is not just
a FreeBSD thing.

best regards,
Robert