Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 00:24:42 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: site design

Moved to -chat, since this certainly isn't on-topic over in
Daemon News.

Wes Peters recently blathered:

% This was an open invitation for someone to slam me back, as I live
% 5 miles from the only man-made feature on the surface of the planet
% visible to the unaided human eye from orbit.  Any takers yet?
%
% Where's Terry Lambert when you knead him?  Oh yeah, he's not a
% Daemon News type, is he?  Heh.
%
% No, it's *not* the Great Wall of China.

Mike Smith cleverly replied:

> But it is visible to the human eye from orbit.
>
> And I don't think the Tabernacle is *that* gaudy.

Don Wilde swagged away with:

> Four Corners power plant complex? Another ugly brown stain, not to
> mention a few assorted anti-government extremists.Okay, your air's got
> as many vitamins as ours.

No, and no.  Salt Lake City does have it's lovely layer of smog;
these idiots here have always wanted to be LA junior and now they're
getting their wish, but we come by ours the old-fashioned, LA way --
car exhaust.

No, to be seen from orbit, this has to be a pretty big structure.
IIRC, it's nearly 5 miles across, and colored such that it stands
out quite nicely from the background, which is mostly wheat fields
and sage brush.