Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 2014 14:08:02 -0800
From:      Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Running X11 in a VirtualBox VM

I had been running X11 inside of a FreeBSD VM under VirtualBox, but it
refuses to run after the last upgrade a few days ago.  The only error is
that it can't open /usr/local/lib/dri/vboxvideo_dri.so.  The file
doesn't exist so that isn't surprising, but why is it necessary now?  I
don't really expect high performance, but I want something to run for
testing.  I did try booting the same system onto hardware and it ran
fine with my Radeon card.  The video drivers include xf86-video-vesa,
but it insists on trying to run the vboxvideo driver that doesn't exist.
I did try booting with vboxguest and vboxservice disabled, but there was
no change.

The system is FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE and here are a few of the possibly
relevant packages:
virtualbox-ose-additions-4.3.20_1
xf86-video-ati-7.5.0
xf86-video-vesa-2.3.3_4
xorg-7.7_1
xorg-drivers-7.7_2

Is there some way to run this with software rendering?  Please let me
know if there is more information needed.  Thanks for any ideas.
--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org