Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:29:40 +0100
From:      Volker Kindermann <ml@ps102.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FBSD 5.3 and 5.4

Hi Brian,

> Maybe it would be better to split that 50G in half, install 5.3 in the
> first 25G, leaving the second free for 5.4 release.  Later I would
> install 5.5 release in that first partition, then 5.6 release in the
> second, and so on.

the setup you're describing is quite conservative but if you don't have
a test machine it's completely ok.

If you want to help the project, don't wait for 5.4 for the second half
of the disc but install -current there and help fixing problems.

There's an articel from Michael Lucas describing such a configuration:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/05/09/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

  -volker