Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:50:49 +0100
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernsth@nl.euro.net>
To:        Herve Quiroz <hquiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>, Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for changing bsd.port.mk and adding bsd.java.mk

Hey Herve, Mikhail and others,

> This said I agree on the fact that something like $USE_ANT and $ANT should
> probably be used with bsd.java.mk

Hehe, I already thought about this, and I intend to add something like
USE_ANT to the bsd.java.mk. *But* I did not want to do this at this stage for
several reasons:

1) One step at a time.
2) The bsd.java.mk is now simple, which makes it more probable that portmgr
will understand the purpose and the impact and accept it for inclusion.

Once I've got control over bsd.java.mk we can support Ant as well USE_ANT.
This is the main reason I did not include an .if like this:

.if defined(USE_JAVA)

in the bsd.port.mk diff :-). I want bsd.java.mk to be included at all times,
so I can check for something like USE_ANT in the future too.

This bsd.java.mk is simple, but it's *only* the first version :-) Don't think
I don't want to improve it as soon as it is accepted and I've got control
over it. Ofcourse I will make sure that all changes to the bsd.java.mk are
very well tested, since the ports system may break if it is not.

Kind regards,

Ernst
(striving for perfect Java support on FreeBSD)

--
Ernst de Haan
EuroNet Internet B.V.

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ