Date:      Sat, 11 Jun 2011 22:44:49 GMT
From:      Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@mittelstaedt.us>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/157778: Broken doc link regarding Atheros products

>Number:         157778
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Broken doc link regarding Atheros products
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
On URL:

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.2R/hardware.html#WLAN

and probably in many other areas of the FreeBSD documentation,
the URL:

http://customerproducts.atheros.com/customerproducts/default.asp

is referenced.  This URL is broken due to the May 2011 purchase
of Atheros by Qualcomm.

The new URL that appears to be similar is:

http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/technology/technology.php?nav1=47

Note that the old URL also appears to be in the man page for ath(4)

Unfortunately the new URL does not seem to be a database lookup
of which atheros chips are in aftermarket cards, so the supported
WiFi list is now very lacking, as an end user cannot pull the model
number of a PCMCIA wireless card and look it up in their database
to see if it contains an Atheros chip.

I did a bit of research and for what it's worth the D-Link
DWA-552 and DWA-556 contain the Atheros 5416 and 5418 chips,
respectively.  I don't know if they work with this driver.