Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 1996 11:30:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "G.A.Grjetarsson Sysadmin of islandia.is" <gambri@islandia.is>
To:        Barry Soben <bsoben@gauss.elee.calpoly.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: root problem

You'll have to bootup in single shell,
at bootup use -s flag to go into single shell,
if the file system is readonly, you'll have to remount the
filesystem so it will get normal for reading and writing data

when you have the filesys normal, type: chfn root
and edit the shell line,

in my case I let the root have bash shell, so the
line I put for root was:

Shell: /usr/local/bin/bash

try this, and reastart the system