Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 23:14:43 -0500
From:      "Daniel Schrock" <djab@enteract.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   game traffic still seemingly blocked with open firewall?

I'm currently running 4.0-Release and due to a catastrophic hardrive
failure, my gateway server had to be rebuilt.  In an effort to get the
network back up i installed natd and just left the firewall wide open for
the time being.  It seems though that my roommate still cannot play
mutiplayer games online.
I have added the required ports to /etc/services and trafshow shows the data
leaving and entering on those ports, but it still won't let him join games.
Basically, my questions are this:

Are the names of the ports in /etc/services just arbitrary references or do
they have meaning beyond a reference name?

How would i go about logging traffic to and from his system for
troubleshooting/debugging?

Also, if any of you are gamers who use natd to windows sytems, how do you
ensure flawless online play using game portals such as WonNet and Kali?

Tanks for your time.

daniel
d_jab@anonymous-daemon.org