Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 13:41:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jdl@chromatic.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/disktab and stuff

> > To generalize and maybe speak (incorrectly?) for others, I think this
> > area of sysadmin scares people.  I know I was scared by it because I use
> > it so infrequently, know so little about it, and it's so potentially
> > "catastrophic" when things go wrong.  Handholding during this stage can
> > be very useful and very important.
>
> I agree.  The 2.0.5 install was, to go further, rather fundamentally
> flawed in that it was an "all or nothing" kinda bet.  You jumped in
> and went all the way or you didn't bother jumping in.  2.1 will be
> substantially different in that regard.

I am afraid 72 hours before beta goes out the door is _not_ the time
to come up with ``substatially different'' functionality.

Take off your engineering hat, put on the shipping hat and kick the
thing out the door.  I have not seen the code commits to make
sysinstall ``substatially different'' and the next 72 hours is not
the time to make it that way.

For the prior 2 releases the #1 gatting issues has been install tools,
well, your not done again, just go with what is there, document the
known bugs and short commings, write an appology for all the things
promised that did not make it, and SHIP.

Perhaps if you where to spend some time in other shoes of those who
have to deal with product shipment on a day in day out business you
might get a better appreciation for what it means to ``get it out the
door on time''.  And that this often means getting it out the door
far from the ideal product you had in mind.

It was agreed that at the 2.1 branch point there we be no _NEW_ functinality
in 2.1 over 2.0.5, so far I have seen slow creep coming in, and am now going
to yell FOUL as load as I can.  You and David can override me, that is a
majority vote of the release team, but right now I am standing here looking
at the 4th day of failed make worlds in -stable and am starting to get
rather PISSED about it.

The delta rate of code change is suppose to go to near _ZERO_ before the
beta goes out, not climb to a record high the day before!