Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 18:09:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        ada@bsd.org
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nokia cellular

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Ada wrote:

> > On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Ada wrote:
> > > Has anybody gotten the nokia cellular data stuff to work?
> > > (Any of it?  I think one emulates a modem.)
> >
> > The PCMCIA card certainly works - it does indeed look just like a
> > modem (and if you prise open the lid on the card, you will find
> > a real 16C550 inside!).
>
> Which particular model is this?

The card is just labelled "Nokia Cellular Data Card" and has a model
number "DTP-2". I use it with a Nokia 2110i (GSM900), but the same card
also works with the 2140 phone (the GSM1800 varient of the 2110).

So far as I can tell, the interface to the phone is the raw 13kbit/sec
data stream, plus a separate control connection to the phone's CPU to
control dialling etc.  The card has its own CPU, implementing the FEC link
protocol, and emulating the usual Hayes modem command set on the host side
(including class1/2 fax).  It also has a command-line access to send SMS
messages and to interrogate the phone's store of received SMS - again, all
accessed the serial port, the command "AT*C" switching into the SMS
mode.

My pccard.conf contains:

card "Nokia Mobile Phones" "DTP-2"
	config 0x22 "sio2" 10