Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 1998 01:42:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      grafe@lab12.ie.pitt.edu (G. Rafe)
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Q: Why Constant/Regular Disk Activity?

I recently upgraded my older Toshiba 220CDS (64MB RAM) to 2.2.7-RELEASE and
installed the same O/S on a new Toshiba 330CDS (32MB RAM).
Except for a few hardware differences, they are configured identically
[to the extent that I can tell].

My question has to do with a very regular and constant disk activity
I'm seeing on the newer 330CDS, which prevents the disk from spinning down
after some period of inactivity.
The older 220CDS behaves normally [i.e., the disk spins down after a bit];
the disk on this 330CDS, however, gets hit by some process every 30 seconds
[exactly].

Apart from the fact that it prevents the disk from spinning down normally,
the constant disk access is plain annoying when I know there shouldn't be any.

The report of "ps ax" on the 330CDS follows:

  PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
    0  ??  DLs    0:00.02  (swapper)
    1  ??  Is     0:00.04 /sbin/init --
    2  ??  DL     0:00.00  (pagedaemon)
    3  ??  DL     0:00.00  (vmdaemon)
    4  ??  DL     0:01.10  (update)
   26  ??  Is     0:00.00 adjkerntz -i
   38  ??  Is     0:00.05 pccardd
   76  ??  Ss     0:00.14 syslogd
   86  ??  Is     0:00.00 portmap
  157  v0  Is+    0:00.41 -sh (sh)
  492  v1  Is+    0:00.02 /usr/libexec/getty Pc ttyv1
 1178  v0  R+     0:00.00 ps -ax

Running "top -s1" doesn't report anything obvious.

Any pointers on tracking down this mysterious disk toucher will be
appreciated greatly.

Gary Rafe
University of Pittsburgh
gerst4@pitt.edu