Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 1995 16:44:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        mark@grondar.za, barry@nacm.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, security@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: key exchange for rlogin/telnet services?

> I didn't see the patch... ?

Because there wasn't one.

In order to get this to work, I had to bring up eBones with the DES code from
Kerberos, which got me some DES functions not in the "export" version
(des_new_random_key and friends I believe, details in
/usr/src/secure/lib/libtelnet/enc_des.c).  I also had to do a fair amount
of piddling around to get the proper versions of things installed and usable,
and certainly didn't have the time to waste on fixing the build process, which
as far as I could make out was simply useless.  Maybe pilot error.

Too much crud spread out over too much of the tree.  I was simply delighted
that I got it to work at all, given the problems I had getting Kerberos /
eBones up to begin with.  And my goal was simply to get at (what I thought
at the time was) something nobody else really seemed to care about.  I got
my crypted telnet, and several comments from Prof. George Davida about how
it wasn't very secure if it depended on Kerberos.  :-)  But a fairly decent
lock is better than no lock at all.

I am certainly willing to provide copies of my source tree.  It is not by
any means "buildable" in a reasonable fashion, but it DOES seem to have all
the basic components needed.  It's several months old; I use it daily.

Because of stupid governmental regulations, my offer is only open to folks
whom I could legally hand a copy of DES to.  Since I don't know the legal
aspects any further than that, I am not interested in pursuing this any
further than perhaps a cooperative cleanup effort of some sort.  I don't have
the time to try substituting a different type of encryption, making it work
with the "exported" DES, et al.  :-(  Too many other fires under my butt
right now.  But I would be delighted to work on cleaning up the code, if
someone else (particularly someone who has worked with the FreeBSD trees and
is familiar with the 4.4 Makefile stuff/etc) is willing to help.

... Joe