Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 18:13:03 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "Michael Kerr" <mkerr@cs.ubc.ca>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware for MBone

>From The Desk Of "Michael Kerr" :
> If somone could help me answer these questions it would be greatly appreciate
d.
> I have been searching the web for the following but have had no luck.
>
> The Bt848 based boards work better/worse than the Matrox meteor?

They are about the same however the bt848 cards are dirt cheap and
offer more functionality.

> ATI, Matrox, S3, (others?) do/don't work with the Bt848 capture card?

S3 968 with 4MB of VRAM or Matrox Millenium with 4mb of VRAM both
around here cost about $200.

> The Colour Quick Cam does/doesn't work under FreeBSD using Vic or some other?
> Sources are at...?

Not sure I never own a QuickCam and they are not that good for audio/video
conferencing.

> The pentium II does/doesn't have the same PCI bus bandwith limitation that th
> pentium Pro has? (They use the same chipset?)

The Pentim II uses the same PCI chipset as the Pentium PRO if you are
not using the MMX instructions then a Pentium II is not a good buy
at this point . I am waiting for the next Pentium release as well as
a better PCI chipset.

For audio you probably want an AudioTrix Pro or a GUS PnP Pro.

I also placed on my  web site my hardware configuration:
http://rah.star-gate.com/site.htm

You can take a peek at my mbone web page:

http://rah.star-gate.com/~hasty/mbone.html

I have not updated for a while however it still has useful info.

	Have Fun,
	Amancio