Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2007 01:01:24 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Repeated UFS panics?

--------------enig415AB1BAA53F0FBC8C058D0D

Eric Anderson wrote:

> By any chance, are there some oddly named directories?  I found that UF=
> will panic with a ufs_dirbad if there are some strange chars in the dir=

> name.  My directories were copied with rsync, from one UFS partition to=

> another.  It could be the way rsync translated it or the way UFS sent i=
> to rsync during read, I'm not certain.  I still have the bad file

I don't think so, except if make installworld generates such filenames,
which I don't think it does.

> system, corresponding core file, etc.  I even ran fsdb on the fs to
> track down the offending directory, and I think I found it.  Of course,=

> I could rename it in fsdb, but that would remove my test case.  I
> stopped debugging it when I got busy, but if there is an interested
> person willing to help be with some debug ideas, I can go back into it.=

On a tangent: has somebody found a way to debug panics from X11 - i.e.
when I detect a panic with the telltale sign that everything including
the mouse stops working, can I reset the video mode from the kernel
debugger (typing blind) and proceed to use the debugger?