Date:      Mon, 12 May 2003 22:08:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "RN Hosting" <hosting@reallynicehosting.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   cvsup question Re: Re: Upgrade or Install new version of freebsd for Sendmail

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 15:20:32 +0100
> From: Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: Upgrade or Install new version of freebsd for Sendmail
> 	8.12.9
> To: Leroy/Admin/Manager <leroy@3dmasters.net>
> Cc: questions@freebsd.org
> As for updating the whole system: it boils down to:
>
>    # cd /usr/src
>    # make update   -or-   cvsup   -or- otherwise obtain an up-to-date
>                                        copy of the sources
>    # less UPDATING
>    # make buildworld buildkernel KERNCONF=FOO
>    # make installkernel KERNCONF=FOO
>
> -- all of which can be done in multiuser mode and probably without
> noticably impacting on customers --
>
>    # shutdown -r now
>
> (Interrupt the reboot during the 10 second countdown, and boot to
> single user..)
>
>    boot: boot -s
>    # fsck -p
>    # mount -a
>    # swapon -a
>    # cd /usr/src
>    # make installworld
>    # mergemaster
>    # reboot
>
> With practice, you can easily do this whole single user part of the
> update in under 15 minutes.

Thank you for these instructions on how to enter single user mode. I have
read several how-tos on using cvsup and they all mention "dropping into
single user mode" yet none of them have described how to do that.

One question that I have is is it possible to enter single user mode as you
have described over SSH or do you have to be physically at the server?

In the past I have upgraded using CVSUP like this:

cvs_file contents:

 *default  host=cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
 *default  base=/usr
 *default  prefix=/usr
 *default  release=cvs
 *default  tag=RELENG_4
 *default  delete use-rel-suffix
 src-all
 *default tag=.

cvsup -g -L 2 cvs_file
cd /usr/src
make buildworld
make buildkernel
make installkernel
make installworld
reboot

Now I upgraded from 4.7 release to 4.8 stable and everything seems to have
been running fine for the past two weeks since I did so except on two
seperate occasions the server has completely frozen and been unresponsive
until my NOC did a forced reboot for me and everything came back to normal
with no signs of the problem in any log files.

Also RAM usage has been unusally high, so I am beginning to suspect that
maybe I messed something up by not using cvsup correctly.  If anyone would
like to help enlighten me as to how important it is to be in single user
mode when installing the new kernel and world (there was no other users
logged in to the machine at the time) and what all else that I might have
done wrong I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Jesse

/root # uptime
10:09PM  up 6 days,  6:57, 1 user, load averages: 0.02, 0.11, 0.11
/root # uname -a
FreeBSD hostname.domain.com 4.8-STABLE FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #0: Sat Apr 19
11:18:37 PDT 2003
root@hostname.domain.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
/root # top
last pid: 68748;  load averages:  0.13,  0.12,  0.12    up 6+06:57:58
22:10:05
49 processes:  1 running, 48 sleeping
CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.8% system,  2.7% interrupt, 96.5%
idle
Mem: 94M Active, 534M Inact, 195M Wired, 32M Cache, 112M Buf, 146M Free
Swap: 2030M Total, 0K Used, 2030M Free