Date:      Fri,  2 Mar 2012 15:35:24 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: flowtable usable or not

> my experiences of slow and nightmarishly error-ridden port updates

I have no intention to bash FreeBSD or ports but ports is certainly not
without problems. It's annoying but not a reason to use Ubuntu! Get a grip,
man! ;-)

> I know there are users who have operated without such problems

I think if you use the i386 architecture and the common ports you are less
likely to find something before somebody else finds it and it gets fixed. If
you use any other platform you are likely to find problems with ports and
this gets amplified if you use nonstandard (read stuff not everybody uses)
ports. I have found several ports broken for many releases in a row. Other
ports aren't supported on certain target architectures but the build
doesn't tell you that until after it has run for a couple of hours
downloading huge source tarballs and compiling them only to give you a
nastygram "Sorry this port is not available on AMD64" of something like
that. I understand not every port maintainer can test on every arch but come
on, for stuff that you know doesn't work can't you check at the beginning
and stop rather than put out a message when the build breaks?