Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 2010 14:12:13 +0100
From:      Uffe Jakobsen <uffe@uffe.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Acer Travelmate 8371 bricked by installing FreeBSD?

Hi Marcus,

On 11/11/10 13.21, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
> I was bold enough to use the
> entire hard drive as the FreeBSD slice. This may be important as this
> may have removed any magic that Acer had put onto this drive (there
> were a bunch of partitions and non-assigned areas, only two of them
> NTFS partitions).

I've had similar considerations - but later it was revealed that it was
of no relevance for the problem...

> In any case, when I attempted to reboot into the
> installed FreeBSD, the box no longer made it past the initial Acer
> splash screen. Neither F2 (edit BIOS settings) nor F12 (boot device
> menu) are responsive, only Ctl+Alt+Del and the power switch do have
> any effect.
>
> This left me with a brick, as none of the remedies that Google
> suggested (things like take out battery, unplug power cord, press
> mains switch for 30 sec, reattach power cord and boot) would get this
> box past the initial splash screen.

likewise here - the system appeared to hang in the bios...

> Did anyone run into similar problems before? Is there any possibility
> that the box was indeed bricked by installing FreeBSD, or did I
> experience a bad hair day?

As we've discussed before I'm using an Acer Aspire 1410 (11.6") with
FreeBSD 8.1. During initial installation I've expierienced something
similar with my Acer system...

My guess is that if you remove/unplug your HDD - it will not hang anymore...

The workaround for me was to remove the disk - go into the bios - and
configure the sata emulation from ahci mode to ide "legacy/compatible"
mode - or whatever they called it in the bios (I've no access to the
notebook right now)

After that you can put back the HDD and boot again - and it should work.

I'd almost forgot about this problem since it is 6 months ago.

My suspicion at that time was around the FBSD BootManager that I have
installed - but I never got around to isolate (and report) the problem...

Question: did you install the FBSD BootManager or just a std MBR ?

I hope it helps.

Kind regards Uffe Jakobsen :-)