Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 13:24:58 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   SANE 2000 program details and registration - May 22-25, 2000

Folks,

	I'm sure that this will be of interest to many of the folks on this list.

	If you surf over to
<http://www.nluug.nl/sane/daily/24/kamp.html>, you will note that our
own Poul-Henning Kamp is giving a presentation entitled "Confining
the omnipotent root", and at
<http://www.nluug.nl/sane/daily/25/greco.html>; you can read more
about the presentation Joe Greco (no stranger to those of you at the
cross-roads of USENET news administration and FreeBSD) is giving on
the subject of how he has built a large (and highly scalable) USENET
news server system on relatively inexpensive commodity components.

	For the security minded folks in the crowd who might be willing
to look a bit further afield, you might be interested in the
presentation Jon Lasser is giving on Bastille Linux (a ruggedized Red
Hat, read more about it at
<http://www.nluug.nl/sane/daily/24/lasser.html>), or the presentation
that Guido van Rooij is doing on "Real Stateful TCP Packet Filtering
in IP-filter" (read more about it at
<http://www.nluug.nl/sane/daily/25/rooij.html>).

	Anyway, without further ado, I give you the official announcement:

At the 	SANE 2000  web site ( http://www.nluug.nl/sane/ )  you will find  full
program details,  on-line registration, hotel information & reservation forms,
travel information and much more, regarding the SANE 2000 conference.

            ____    _    _   _ _____      ____   ___   ___   ___
           / ___|  / \  | \ | | ____|    |___ \ / _ \ / _ \ / _ \
           \___ \ / _ \ |  \| |  _|        __) | | | | | | | | | |
            ___) / ___ \| |\  | |___      / __/| |_| | |_| | |_| |
           |____/_/   \_\_| \_|_____|    |_____|\___/ \___/ \___/

                          http://www.nluug.nl/sane/

                      2nd International SANE Conference

                               May 22-25, 2000

                         Maastricht, The Netherlands

  A conference organized by the NLUUG, the UNIX User Group - The Netherlands
    co-sponsored by USENIX, the Advanced Computing Systems Association, and
                                Stichting NLnet

----------------
Important dates:
----------------
   Early registration deadline:  April  7, 2000
   Registration closing date  :  May   14, 2000

We are very pleased to present you the program for SANE 2000, an international
conference on  System  Administration and  Networking,  focused on UNIX and IP
networking.  Going through the program,  you will  find renowned  speakers for
many interesting topics.  SANE 2000 is the place where you will hear, discuss,
then put to use the latest research,  well-thought-out approaches,  tools  and
techniques for practical system administration and security.

Monday and Tuesday are your true opportunity for in-depth study! For two days,
choose among three tracks of tutorials, covering topics like  Perl/Tk,  IPSEC,
Sendmail, firewalls, DNS and general  UNIX  systems administration  and led by
experienced and respected instructors like Eric Allman, Jim Reid, Hugh Daniel,
Walter Belgers, Hans van de Looy, Mark Overmeer, Jos Vos and Evi Nemeth.

During the  third and  fourth day of SANE 2000 you will (after the keynote) be
able to  choose from  two tracks of  interesting presentations:  the  refereed
papers track or the  invited talks  sessions.   Hear about network management,
security,  modern  file  system  techniques,  IP  internals,  (b)leading  edge
developments, the use of open source software, and so on.
You will  find a  remarkable line-up of speakers,  including Brian Reid,  Jeff
Allen, Eric Allman, Barbara Dijker, Guido van Rooij,  Mark Burgess, Joe Greco,
Bastiaan Bakker and many, many more.

On Tuesday and Wednesday you can also stroll along the exhibition area,  where
vendors will demonstrate their latest hardware and software products they hope
will help you do your job more efficiently and effectively.

Of course,  there's also time  to  relax.  Make sure you don't miss the social
event  (and conference dinner) on  Wednesday evening.   The conference ends on
Thursday afternoon with the "The inSANE Quiz" where  keywords like  Hilarious!
Fun! Educational! apply.   Attend the quiz  and be awed by the vast amounts of
absolutely  useless  knowledge  portrayed  by the  quiz candidates.  Or,  even
better,  register as a potential quiz candidate and test your cognitive powers
against the world's masters of  completely  useless  facts.  Try  to  beat the
reigning champion!

SANE 2000 is hosted in the  Maastricht Exposition and Conference Center, MECC,
close to the medieval center of the  city of  Maastricht,  in the south of the
Netherlands, close to the borders with Belgium and Germany.

Please join us. We hope to see you in Maastricht on May 22-25 at SANE 2000!

  Edwin H. Kremer, Program Co-Chair
  Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University

  Bob Eskes, Program Co-Chair
  Applied System's Research, Hollandse Signaalapparaten, Hengelo

  For The SANE 2000 Program Committee.

P.S. register early for the tutorials: they tend to fill up fast!

--
   These are my opinions and should not be taken as official Skynet policy
|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                 Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|