Date:      Fri, 18 Nov 2011 23:30:10 -0500
From:      William Bulley <web@umich.edu>
To:        Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Edward Martinez <eam1edward@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: where to ask about problems with bsdinstall in 9.0RC2?

According to Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com> on Fri, 11/18/11 at 21:02:

> I think you have under sized /usr and the uncompress ran out of space
> during the install. Start over again, wipe the disk clean (ie: delete
> all slices)and re-allocate your slices with larger space allocations.

Thanks.

While this is an older Dell laptop as I said earlier, it still has a
decent sized drive.  And I am following the guidelines in the handbook
at the beginning of section 2.6.5 Creating Partitions Using Disklabel:

/ (root) is 4 GB
swap     is 4 GB
/var     is 4 GB
/usr     is the rest of the disk - in this case 99 GB

Bottom line, I think this is sufficient - it was for 8.2-RELEASE and
-STABLE.  Plus the handbook says "at least 8 GB" for /usr.

Oh, and this is a "dangerously dedicated" drive housing only FreeBSD.
That is, I'm using the entire disk for FreeBSD.  Thanks again.

Or, perhaps you are saying 4 GB is insufficient for /var?  Since it
seems to be complaining about not being able to write to "var/xxxx".

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley                     Email: web@umich.edu