Date:      Wed, 02 Mar 2011 22:39:23 -0600
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDInstall on sparc64

On 03/02/11 21:30, Craig Butler wrote:
>> Works on my Ultra 60, however fails on Ultra AXe. After guided
>> partitioning and initializing, "checking distribution archives.."
>> flashes by (I assume the error is here) and I get "Extract error
>> Error while extracting kernel.tgz Unrecognized archive format"
>>
>> I'm new to FreeBSD, but successfully installed 8.2 on the AXe a
>> few days ago.
>>
>> Thanks and regards,
>>
>> Howard E.
>> Ottawa
> Hi Folks
>
> Just tried again on 777s using new cdr media.  I am seeing the same
> issue as Howard now.
>
> Extract error
> Error while extracting kernel.tgz
> Unrecognized archive format

Odd. Could you take a look at the kernel.tgz file? It's in either
/usr/freebsd-dist or /usr/bsdinstall-dist. I'd be interested to know
what file(1) says about it on a working and on a non-working machine, as
well as the output of gzip -t and tar tvf (you can use the single-user
shell on the install CD to test this).
-Nathan