Date:      Sun, 01 Mar 1998 14:53:00 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot manager w/ freebsd

> > When there are three disks on the system, you can only boot from the
> > first (no option to goto the second or third disk is given).
> >
> > Is this fixable ?
>
> Yes.  You need to burn a new BIOS for your machine and up the drive
> count from 2 to however many you want so that the BIOS will put the
> right %dl value (ie: 0x82, 0x83, ...).

Uh, actually I think the problem is the Booteasy only checks the LSB of
the drive count value.  If it's set, there's one drive, if it's clear,
there are two.  It's been a long time since I looked at the code, but I
do seem to recall that with 4 drives you get two items on the menu
again.

Either way, the booteasy code design is such that it's really only
suited for simple arrangements.  For more complex systems, I have to
recommend either the OS/2 Boot Manager (if you have OS/2) or System
Commander.  If you insist on freeware, then OS-BS may also do what you
want.