Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 1995 13:49:46 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More nits

Julian Elischer writes:

> > > 2. The SCSI tape driver will rewind a non-rewinding tape under some
> > >    circumstances (I think it's when it detects an EOM).  I have a tape
> > >    with multiple files which is readable, but the second-to-last tape
> > >    mark seems to be flaky and an 'mt fsf 3' tends to go one mark too
> > >    far.  It was a real pain trying to read in the tape, since the
> > >    driver kept rewinding it.
> >
> > Hmmmmm!  I'll let some of the SCSI hackers on our list field this one.
> > I don't actually use tapes in my daily life, so I've no direct
> > experience with this behavior.
>
> I have a problem with this..
> it might be the drive itself.....
> I don't think WE ask it to do that....

I'm pretty sure that it's the driver.  I finally got this tape read by
using BSD/OS, which doesn't show the behaviour.

A couple of other points that were mentioned:

1.  What kind of tape drive?  HP 35480A.  I haven't had any problems
    with it before; I don't know what made it write the flaky tape
    mark.

2.  Why not rewrite the tape?  From what?  This is the only backup.
    Sure, it's a good objective to ensure that you have good tapes
    (and, in fact, once I restored it, I *did* rewrite it), but that
    doesn't mean that drivers shouldn't recover from as many errors as
    possible.

3.  J\(:org hasn't seen this problem before.  You mention QIC-150s--do
    you use them in non-rewinding mode?  This question doens't make
    any sense unless you're talking about /dev/nrstX--otherwise you'd
    expect it to rewind when it closes.

Greg