Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:31:06 -0400
From:      Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@freebsd.org>
To:        Patrick Hurrelmann <outi@bytephobia.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Prism54 Chipsets Supported?

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 11:37:15AM +0200, Patrick Hurrelmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently using a Dell TrueMobile 1300 (Broadcom) on my Dell
> Latitude D600 Notebook. Thanks to Bill Pauls awesome work it is performs
> very well for daily und "normal" wireless lan usage.
>
> But i want to run some tools, that are only available fo wi-cards.
> Is Prism54-Chipset already supported? I read something that a driver for
> linux exists on www.prism54.org. will it make it to freebsd or is it
> highly unlikely?
>
> Some on the lists posted, that he has replaced his card with an
> ath-based one. Maybe ath is an alternative to wi, but i'd relly prefer
> wi (802.11g or a is a must have).

Please check out:
	<http://green.homeunix.org/~green/prism54-driver/pff/>;
Note that this may well not compile on 5.2.1-RELEASE, just -CURRENT
(and certainly not -STABLE).  Seat belts are not included, but I have
taken great lengths to make this what I belive to be one of the most
inherently stable drivers on FreeBSD.

Currently working are: ad-hoc mode, infrastracture mode, and HostAP
(firmware-based) mode.  WEP support works fine, but radiotap and
promiscuous mode are not implemented.  I can't find any PCI cards
for sure that have Prism GT/Prism Duette chipsets (note that the
Prism Nitro ones certainly won't work yet, but I don't know how
much work it is to support them).  I'm using NetGear WG511 CardBus
cards, but haven't tried doing suspend/resume support yet.

Notably absent are HostAP management features (listing associated
clients, kicking them off, associating with 802.1x) and the
support for TKIP.  Still, it's nice having an 802.11 card that can
do over 20Mbit/s and not take all your CPU time to do it.

  <> green@FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \