Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:21:11 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: Initial list of ports that fail due to -pthread

--vOmOzSkFvhd7u8Ms

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 02:11:53AM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > Just an idea (I hope this hasn't been said before in the mega thread bu=
t at
> > least I didn't get it this way):
> >=20
> > - fix all ports to respect PTHREAD_LIBS _ON THE LINKING STAGE_ (so no
> >   global search & replace, for it shouldn't be used in compile command
> >   lines)
> This sounds nice, but I don't know that there really is much
> difference in changes needed.

Well it avoids gcc warnings in case PTHREAD_LIBS =3D=3D '-lkse'. That's abo=
ut
the only reason I can think of to make the distinction between compiling
& linking.

> > - keep '-pthread' as a compiler option, which maps to a NOOP for compil=
ing
> >   and '-lpthread' (aka libkse) for linking
>=20
> That's already the case; -pthread never did anything on the
> compile, only the link.

OK, but let's keep it that way then. Isn't the removal of -pthread that sta=
rted
all this?

> > - set PTHREAD_LIBS to the default value of -pthread
> > - allow PTHREAD_LIBS to be set to something other, e.g. '-lthr', in
> >   /etc/make.conf (or the make command line)
>=20
> This is already the path that ports is going down :-)

Well, great. Let's go and fix some ports then, and everybody will be happy =
:)
But if this is really the way to go, we probably need some hack to bsd.port=
.mk
to make PTHREAD_LIBS standard because otherwise every port that needs a
threads library needs to have PTHREAD_LIBS hacks.

--Stijn

--=20
Help Wanted: Telepath. You know where to apply.

--vOmOzSkFvhd7u8Ms

--vOmOzSkFvhd7u8Ms--