Date:      Mon, 4 Jul 2005 11:27:11 -0400
From:      Josh Ockert <torstenvl@gmail.com>
To:        Bryan Maynard <bryan.maynard@reallm.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.4 ndis support

On 7/3/05, Bryan Maynard <bryan.maynard@reallm.com> wrote:
> I've been having issues with ndis myself. However, I got some help and th=
ings
> are going good for me, except that i haven't gotten DHCP to work for the
> card. . .
>=20
> Anyway, there is a utility in 5.4 (I think that's that's where it showed =
up)
> called "ndisgen". Running ndisgen steps you through a wonderful little sc=
ript
> that asks for for the location of your INF and SYS files, generates you .=
> file and kernel module.
>=20
> I was getting the same "No such file or directory" error until I ran ndis=
gen.
>=20
> Give it a try. :-D
>=20
> Bryan
>=20
> On Sunday 03 July 2005 10:10 am, Tobias Tom wrote:
>  Hello everyone,
>=20
>  I'm using FreeBSD for some years now. I've read the german Mailinglist
>  for nearly the same time. But I've got a Problem which no one can
>  reproduce, or no one know any solution.
>=20
>  I want to use my Level One wnc 0301 WLAN PCI Card in my FreeBSD box
>  with acts as a Router in my small Home Network.
>  I've found no drivers or buildin support for that Card. Google, and
>  the Manufactor told me that it is using the raltech rt2500 chip. I
>  found a page where someone builds a driver for FreeBSD CURRENT, but it
>  is not portable for the 5.x branch.
>=20
>  Someone told me that I could use the ndis Feature which occured in
>  FreeBSD 5.3. I'm not sure how happy I am with Windows Drivers on my
>  FreeBSD Box, but for now i don't see any alternative.
>=20
>  So I tried to get ndis Support up like it is described inside the
>  Manual, and inside the first commit Message of the Files. Building
>  seems to work really fine. I've created the ndis_driver_data.h from my
>  driver INF and Driver SYS. Ran make && make install and everything was
>  finished without any error.
>=20
>  Then I tried to load the ndis support with "kldload ndis". It results
>  into the following Error Message: "kldload: can't load ndis: No such
>  file or directory" So I looked it the file is really not existing. But
>  it exists, ls output is:
>  "-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  91686 Jul  3 15:37
>  /usr/src/sys/modules/ndis/ndis.ko"
>  So I looked into dmesg and saw the following Error:
>=20
>  link_elf: symbol VOP_GETATTR_APV undefined
>  KLD if_ndis.ko: depends on ndisapi - not available
>=20
>  After I could not get something usefull out for me (others might be
>  more successfull ;o) I looked again into the man page of ndis. Under
> [...]

Note: I've never done NDIS before as I have a Cisco PCM-352 which is
supported under FreeBSD.

However, I'll offer my thoughts in case they help: a) I'm not so sure
building anything into the kernel would help as opposed to it being a
module. I generally wait til I've tested the module and found that it
works well before I compile it into the kernel, and only then for
speed purposes. b) If you have a MODULES_OVERRIDE in your kernel
config, it won't build/install any modules you don't list there. Try
commenting out MODULES_OVERRIDE in your kernel config if it's there
and rebuild your kernel. If that works, problem solved.

--=20
Josh Ockert
WMU Student: French Linguistics, Computer Science
--
The irony in biblical creationists' rhetoric of implicitly claiming
that God's universe is so chaotic that carbon decays at erratic rates