Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 20:13:43 -0600
From:      Tim DeBoer <deboert@cornhusker.net>
To:        simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ssh says "FATAL: Freeing block that is already freed"

At 10:20 PM 1/28/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 00:06:25 +0200
>From: Andrey Simonenko <simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>
>Subject: ssh says "FATAL: Freeing block that is already freed"
>
>On my server I use FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE. When I try to connect to my server
>with ssh from another hosts (FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE and 4.0-STABLE), ssh outputs:
>
>FATAL: Freeing block that is already freed
>
>even before asking password.
>
>I can make ssh connection to any other host from my server, I can make ssh
>connection from my server to my server (i.e. ssh localhost) as well. But can't
>make ssh connection to my server from other hosts (see error message above).
>
>What is wrong with ssh/sshd? When I made upgrade to STABLE, I didn't forget
>to run mergemaster. I even recreated RSA key for host and removed keys from
>home directory. It didn't solve problem.
>
>Also I should note, that I haven't such problems when I make ssh connect from
>FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE and from OpenBSD 2.7 to FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE (not to above
>mentioned my server, to another computer).

I'll take a SWAG at it.
Three possibilities I've experienced.

1) Is sshd actually running? (Don't laugh, I had this exact same problem
when I first installed FreeBSD. It disappeared after I rebooted once. For
some reason, the daemon did not start after install.) If it's not showing
up when you ps ax, then it's not running.

2) Your host.domain.name has changed, and the other machines can't make the
connection because the host name you're trying to connect to doesn't
resolve properly. Can you connect if you try to connect by IP address
instead of by host name?
(I run into this every time I re-do my windows machine)

3) I experienced a similar issue, the last time I updated the SSH server
software on my linux machines.
I needed to use a different SSH server type in my client software before I
could connect to the servers. Available choices were DataFellows, SSH
Communications, and Standard. The version of SSH produced by www.ssh.com
had been changed to require standard.
Try updating the version of SSH on your other machines maybe. (Really
shouldn't need to, but it's worth a try anyway)

Tim

Tim DeBoer
http://www.snarfy.com

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire
shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.