Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:02:44 -0800
From:      Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
To:        Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with diagnosing eclipse freezes

Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
> Micah wrote:
>> I just tried building Eclipse with java 1.5 and the patch Michael
>> Kastner mentioned earlier this week.  /same/ problem.  Since only
>> Eclipse does this and it's been there across multiple versions of
>> FreeBSD and JVMs, then it's either Eclipse or a really strange
>> hardware problem that only affects Eclipse and not the hundreds of
>> other ports I have installed.  Could someone point me somewhere that
>> has some reading on profiling or attaching a debugger to trap these
>> freezes?
>
> Try attaching to the eclipse process with a debugger when it freezes:
>
> % pgrep -lf java
> 7186 /usr/local/jdk1.5.0/bin/java -Xms40m -Xmx256m -jar
> /usr/local/eclipse/startup.jar -os freebsd -ws gtk -arch x86 -launcher
> /usr/local/eclipse/eclipse -name Eclipse -showsplash 600 -exitdata 2001b
> -vm /usr/local/bin/java -vmargs -Xms40m -Xmx256m -jar
> /usr/local/eclipse/startup.jar
> % gdb /usr/local/jdk1.5.0/bin/java 7186
>

> And from there on snoop around and see if you can find anything useful.
> You could do the same thing with ktrace(1):
>
> % ktrace -p 7186
>
> then use kdump(1) to view the processes activity.
> In order to monitor the initial 3.5 min. delay, you coul start eclipse
> from either ktrace or gdb and see if something weird goes on before
> forking the java process.
>
> If you haven't tried yet with other thread implementations, do so. Use
> libmap.conf(5) to specify either libc_r or libthr and see if it makes
> any difference. Also make sure you are not having any DNS or
> network-related problems (any non-default sysctl settings?). And for the
> truly paranoid, make sure powerd is not changing the clock frequency for
> some reason and if you are using ataidle or some such it is not spinning
> down the disks at that time. Not that I think it is likely to happen,
> but since we are grasping for straws...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Panagiotis

Thank you! Especially for the quick pointers on tools to use. I did a
ktrace on eclipse and there were numerous lines similar to this
surrounded by file system related calls:
  54039 eclipse  NAMI
"/usr/home/bsdmjl/.themes/RPanther3/gtk-2.0/button_round_blue.png"

I tried disabling my GTK theme and suddenly Eclipse worked. It boots up
in seconds and doesn't freeze when typing. I guess I have to find a new
gtk theme that matches KDE's Baghira. (Or just ignore the eye candy :)

I wonder if there's a bug in how Eclipse/Java handles GTK themes, or if
there's a problem with the RPanther theme itself?  At least now I can
work around the problem.

Thanks again!
Micah