Date:      Wed, 08 Mar 2006 15:40:24 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror(8) and graid3(8) changes.

At 02:39 PM 08/03/2006, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 01:50:42PM -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>+> At 05:28 PM 06/03/2006, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
>+> >Hi.
>+> >
>+> >Here you can find patches with changes to gmirror(8) and graid3(8):
>+> >
>+> >        http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/gmirror.7.patch
>+> >        http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/graid3.patch
>+>
>+> Hi,
>+> Against stable, this patch fails in places.   This is against
>RELENG_6 as of today
>
>graid3 from HEAD and RELENG_6 differ. Can you apply the patches to HEAD
>version and just copy entire sys/geom/raid3 from HEAD to RELENG_6?

Yes, done.

I had saved the test results from the last set of tests and added the
new results.
http://www.tancsa.com/raid3.html

There is both a speed improvement and regression in reading depending
on the test size.  I repeated the 2G and 3G test twice and there was
very little change between tests, but it doesnt seem to make sense
why 4G would be faster than 2G.  Also, this test if you recall, used
to lock up the box with preemption in the kernel.  The version in
HEAD, with the above patch works just fine in RELENG_6 using these
simple tests and does not lockup.

         ---Mike