Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 15:01:33 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java applet gets no keystrokes?

> > > Huh?  vncserver is a perl script.  You don't default to an emasculated
> > > perl do you?  You must have X on the system, or you wouldn't be able to
> > > build the server in the first place; is your X in the canonical
> > > location?
> >
> > I have X installed, and it's a standard install.
>
> OK.  You don't show any errors creating the logfile now; what changed?

I decided to be a rootly kind of fellow. :)

> > > Well, no, actually, I just threw everything into a port and didn't even
> > > bother building it here at all.
> > >
> > > What sort of question is that?  Of course it works; how else would I
> > > have gotten to the point where I couldn't get keystrokes into it?  8)
> >
> > Because it's not working.
>
> Smile, goddamit! 8)

The best I can do is *smirk*. :)

> The vnc server is just a hacked up X server; this is it complaining
> about your fonts.  Are you using compressed or gzipped fonts?  I "fixed"
> it to do gzipped ones, perhaps I broke it for compressed fonts?

I'm using compressed fonts (old version of XIG on that box that doesn't
do gzipped fonts).

> > Are you saying that I don't need to run vncserver?
>
> As I said, vncserver is a perl script that starts Xvnc and a couple of
> clients.  Running Xvnc by itself is like running just a bare X server;
> not useful beyond testing, but it removes a lot of the logmessage
> annoyance.  You need the server running so that you can run the client.
>
> I definitely erred in saying that 'vncserver' should be run as root; it
> should be run as yourself.  Sorry about that.

It won't run at all if I don't run it as root.  I get the error about
trying to write to X.log (although it has permissions to write there
obviously).

Nate